Slider

What is a Superhero? What makes a Superhero special?

Saturday, January 10, 2015

After taking a break from the blogging world for the past month or so, and in part of celebrating the new year, I wanted to finally showcase and share our documentation from our students' Superhero Inquiry (since it's been on my very long "To-Do" list for a while)! It was most definitely an inquiry that was fantastical in nature, however, it was so empowering for our students to take lead on answering each other's questions and wonderings and using their imagination to drive their thinking forward! 
This inquiry has tied in perfectly to our "What can you see? How can you help?" global inquiry project since our students made the connections to "heroes" in our community! Police officers and Fire Fighters were at the top of the list and it was incredibly meaningful since many of our students' family members are part of those professions! 

Moreover, as a teaching team, the Visual Arts was a perfect opportunity to celebrate their imaginative thinking by creatively designing their own Superheroes and describing the powers they uphold! We used Sharpies and water colour crayons to create these representations of each students' unique visions of themselves as a Superhero! We have selected a few products to show and celebrate with you!








Superhero rules:
Be Kind
Be Brave
Be Extraordinary
Be Strong
Be the best you can be!

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the detail in the drawings of each Superhero. Interesting how students took their thinking about a Superhero and could capture this in such a powerful visual for others to see. I am wondering if Superheros are always big people (adults)? Is it possible for a kindergarten student to be a Superhero? How would you know if YOU were a Superhero?
    Just some wondering of mine:0)
    Mrs. Jelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Heather! As always, I truly appreciate and love how YOU challenge my thinking as an educator for how to further engage my students and challenge them to think deeper! I will most definitely be asking that question to them this week and look forward to their responses! Thanks for sharing your thinking and wonderings! Hope to see you soon my friend!
      Sincerely,
      Jocelyn

      Delete
    2. Hi Jocelyn,
      I love how you explain the process throughout this inquiry. We just finished reading a picture book on Friday that is sparking more questions for our kiddos about kids being Superheros. If you haven't already read it, it's a good one - Eliot is quiet during the day so he can be a Superhero by night. Eliot Jones, Midnight Superhero.
      I need to take the time to probe further into this spark - thanks for the push! :-)

      Delete
  2. Love your new look! Very fresh and and easy to read!!!! We need a blog date soon xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jocelyn,
    First let me thank you for all the great ideas and inspiration. I am really excited to start my year with my kindergarten class, (Ms Em's Marvels)using the Superheros theme. It connects so well to our new curriculum focus, I can statements and core competencies. However, my principal is not thrilled with this idea as she says it will just go to promote rough play and such. I recognize that imaginary superhero play fights will likely occur at the beginning. Can you give me any tips on how to soften my principals stance and help any little roughies to tone it down.

    Thank you,
    Monica Embacher

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan